- Member: Board of Directors, Connecticut Innovations, Inc. 2008-2011
- Adjunct Professor, Engineering and Management, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 2001-2004
- Engineering/Management Consultant 1998-
- President, Strategic Technologies International, Inc. 1992-1998
- Distinguished Visiting Professor of Mechanical Engineering. Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1995-1998
- International Gas Turbine Institute Scholar Award 1997 recipient
- Connecticut Immigrant Award 1999 recipient
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from the University of Mysore, M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Iowa, Masters degree in Management from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- Academic affiliation with the College of Engineering at the University of Florida, University of Iowa, Hartford Graduate Center RPI of Connecticut (Engineering and Management), University of Connecticut and Yale. Developed and taught courses on Management of Technological Innovation, Management of Technology, R&D Management and Organizational Behavior at the Hartford Graduate Center.
- Associate Editor, Applied Mechanics Reviews (1993-1995) , Coeditor, Biomimetics (1992-1998)
- Manager, Applied Mechanics Research at the United Technologies Research Center.(1977-1992).
- Author of Smart Structures published by the Cambridge University Press (2000) and numerous technical publications in the areas of vibrations, aeroelasticity and damping
- U.S. patent in the area of vibration control through shape memory alloys.
- Vast industrial experience beginning with Kaman Aerospace Corporation and followed by P&WA and UTRC.
- Developed structural simulation systems for low rotors, turbine and compressor blade vibration and damping. These procedures continue to serve as basic framework for improvement in analysis of complex structures.
- Represented the United Technologies Corporation in the President’s Commission on Executive Exchange Program. Posted to the Senior Executive Service of the federal government and assigned to the U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research as Senior Scientist and Technical Advisor. Participated in program reviews and long term planning.
- Elected Fellow (1985) of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Served as (1) member, executive committee of the Aerospace Division, ASME, (2) chairman, ASME National Conference on Vibrations (3) Chairman, Structures and Dynamics Committee of the International Gas Turbine Institute (4) Editor, Journal of Engineering for Industry, (5) member, Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal on Intelligent Material Systems and Structures (6) member, Board of Directors of the Society of Engineering Science (7) member, Board of Directors, World Affairs Center of Greater Hartford and (8) member, Joint Indo-US Committee on Aeronautics set up by the Prime Minister of India, (9) Chairman, UConn Asian American Studies Institute Advisory Board.
- U.S. Citizen.
- Councilman, Glastonbury Town Council, 1997-1999
- Vice Chairman, Glastonbury Town Council, 1999-
University of Mysore, India, B.E.
University of Iowa, M.S. Degree in Structural Mechanics
University of Iowa, Ph.D. Degree in Structural Mechanics
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, M.S. Degree in Management
| Professional Accomplishments
- Smart Structures published by Cambridge University Press, 2000
- International Gas Turbine Institute Scholar Award,1997
- Coeditor, Biomimetics (1992-1998)
- Panel Member, National Research Council to evaluate proposals (1995)
- Associate editor, Applied Mechanics Reviews (1993-1995).
- Built a strong research and development group at United Technologies Research Center and served as focal point of contact for federally funded Internal Research &Development programs (1981-1991). Marketed a major program to the Air Force in the area of Transonic Flutter, (1984). Marketed a major program to the United States Air Force Arnold Engine Development Center (AEDC) in the area of Computerized Non-contact Stress Measurement System (1986).
- Member, Board of directors, Society of Engineering Science (1993).
- Represented United Technologies Corporation in the President’s Commission on Executive Exchange (PCEE) serving in the Senior Executive Service of the Air Force Office of Scientific Research as Technical Advisor to the Aeronautics Directorate (1990-1991).
- Edited three volumes for ASME, two on the subject of blade vibrations and one in the area of smart structures and materials (1976, 1988,1993).
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal on Intelligent Material Systems and Structures (1991-1992)
- Chairman, Structures & Dynamics Committee, ASME International Gas Turbine Institute (1992-1994)
- Contributed to a major report to the Prime Minister of India as a member of a panel on Aeronautics (1987).
- Chairman, Panel to review NASA Lewis Research Center programs (LeRC) in Structures and Structural Dynamics (1985).
- Member, Executive Committee, ASME Aerospace Division (1983)
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry (1976-1982)
- Member, Panel to review NSF programs on Research Needs in Nonlinear Dynamics (1981)..
- Team Leader, ASME lectures on Turbomachinery Aeroelasticity (1980).
- Pioneered the area of blade mistuning analysis and established the basis for analytical design of blades; earliest publication in the U.S. of the analysis and approach.
- Pioneered the area of nonlinear damping due to dry friction
- Chairman, ASME International Conference on Vibrations (1979).
* Connecticut Immigrant award, 1999
* International Gas Turbine Institute (ASME) Scholar Award, 1997
* U.S. patent holder in the area of Vibration Control Through Shape Memory Alloys, 1989.
* American Helicopter Society Award on Excellent Paper/Presentation, 1988.
* Nominated as a candidate to receive the Ellis Island Medal of Honor, 1994.
|Employment HistoryWorcester Polytechnic Institute
(WPI) 1995–1997Distinguished Visiting Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering). Responsible for initiating and directing special joint undergraduate research programs between WPI and the University of Puerto Rico. The projects involved innovative use of shape memory alloys to control vibration of buildings during earthquakes. Research results appeared in popular as well as technical journals.
University of Connecticut (University of Connecticut) 1992- 1995
Research funding from United Technologies Corporation and Martin-Marietta. Archival publications in the area of Flutter Analysis of Cascades, Hierarchy as a Principle in Stuctural Design and Multiplexing of Ni-Ti-NOL fibers.
United States Air Force 1990-1991
- Participant in the President’s Commission on Executive Exchange Program as a representative of United Technologies Corporation between April 1990 and May 1991. Posted to the Senior Executive Service of the Federal Government and assigned to the Air Force Office of Scientific Research as Senior Scientist & Technical Advisor. Participated in a series of seminars, including a weeklong educational program at the Kennedy School of Government, aimed at examining the issues related to management of public sector enterprises. Responsibilities at AFOSR included a review of Aeronautics Directorate Research Programs and preparation of a long-term plan. Extensive interaction with Air Force Laboratories.
- United Technologies Research Center (1977-1992)
- Manager, Applied Mechanics Research. September 1981 to January 1992. Responsibilities included directing and managing basic research programs and laboratories in the areas of Stress Analysis, Finite Elements, Fracture Mechanics, Composites, Structural Dynamics, Damping and Aeroelasticity of all components of interest to various divisions of United Technologies. The structural components include components of Turbomachinery, Prop-fans, Helicopters, Elevators, Compressors, etc.
- Chief, Applied Mechanics. March 1980 September 1981. Responsibilities included developing research programs in the area of structural dynamics of turbomachinery, conducting and directing analytical and experimental efforts in the areas of blade vibration, blade damping, mistuning and system identification.
- Senior Consulting Engineer. 1977-1980. Responsibilities included developing analytical and experimental research programs in the areas of Structural Dynamics of Turbomachinery, planning and coordinating the development of Vibrations Laboratory.
Hartford Graduate Center (HGC) 1966-1995
- Adjunct Professor in the School of Management. 1993-1994
- Adjunct Associate Professor in the School of Management. 1985-1990.
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Mechanics. 1966 to 1979, 1984-1991.
Pratt & Whitney Aircraft 1968-1977
- Senior Assistant Project Engineer, Technical and Research Engineering. 1968-1977. Responsibilities included development of analytical prediction systems.
- Kaman Aircraft, Division of Kaman Corporation. 1966-1968
- Research Specialist responsible for developing nonlinear gyroscopic systems analysis for vibration reduction in Helicopters.
University of Florida, Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics 1965-1966
- Assistant Professor and Graduate Counselor. Graduate courses taught: Theory of Plates, Theory of Shells; Undergraduate course: Strength of Materials.
University of Iowa 1961-1965
- Instructor, College of Engineering. Courses taught included Mechanics of Materials, Computer Programming, Materials Testing.
Argonne National Laboratory, Summer 1963
- Research Associate. Work involved thermal stress analysis of fuel plates and fuel rods.
University of Iowa (for Babcock and Wilcox Company, Ohio) Summer 1962
- Research Assistant. Work involved analysis of orthotropic plates using numerical techniques; extensive use of digital computers.
Mysore Engineering Institute, Bangalore, India 1957-1960
- Adjunct Lecturer.
B.M.S. College of Engineering, Bangalore, India 1956-1960
- Lecturer in Civil Engineering. Courses taught included Applied Mechanics, Structural Engineering, Steel and Reinforced Concrete Structures.
|Professional Memberships ASME, Elected Fellow (1985)
Member, Vibration Institute (1978-1985)
- WPI: Smart Structures & Materials (Graduate Course, Spring 1996)
UConn: Advanced Mechanics (Spring 1993), Smart Structures and Materials, Fall 1994
HGC: Organizational Behavior,1993, Management of Technological Innovation, Management of Technology, Management of R&D, 1984-87, Nonlinear Oscillations, 1967, Theory of Shells, 1968, Numerical Analysis, 1969, Vibrations (different periods), Turbomachinery Structural Dynamics (different times).
Yale: Vibration Theory
- UF: Strength of Materials, 1966, Theory of Plates, 1966, Theory of Shells, 1966
SUI: Mechanics of Materials, Numerical Analysis, Computer Programming
| Off-Campus teaching and related activities
Served as “Opponent” (External Examiner) of a Ph.D Thesis examination, Linkoping Universty, Sweden, 1998
Smart Structures Workshop at University of Kassel, Germany, 1997
Turbomachinery Aeroelasticity workshop taught at National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, (1993), NASA LeRC (1996), Air Force Wright Labs (1997), AEDC (1997)
Structural Dynamics of Engine Blades, 2-day Workshop for Volvo Corporation, Sweden, June 1994
Engine Blade Dynamics, 2-day lecture series, P&WA, West Palm Beach, 1995Recent Invited Lectures
Smart Structures: State of the Art, University of Vermont Graduate Engineering Seminar, 1999 Vibration Characteristics of Blades, Volvo Corporation, Sweden, 1998
Jet Engine Structural Integrity, AEROINDIA, Bangalore, India, December, 1996
Jet Engine Structural Integrity, Rolls Royce, Derby, UK, December 1996
Vibration Problems Typical of Advanced Gas Turbine Components, Lecture delivered at INSA Tech, Lyon, May, 1996
Smart Structures Research in the United States, Lecture delivered at INSA Tech , Lyon, May,1996
Engine Blade Vibration: An Historical Perspective, Chinese Vibration Engineering Conference, Hong Kong, December, 1995
Jet Engine Blade Dynamics, ONERA, France, Lecture, June 1994
Analysis of Mistuned Systems, SNECMA, France, June 1994
Forced Response of Engine Blades, University of Kassel, Germany, June 1994
Natural Composites; Special Seminar at Stanford University, December 1993
Biomimetics: A futuristic look at the past; University of Florida “Frontiers of Science”, December 1992
Turbomachinery Blade Vibrations, Textron Lycoming Lecture, April 1992
Smart Structures: Analysis and Design, Cambridge University press 2000
How to Conduct Puja: Series, Periplus Books, 1999
Yaksha Prashna: A Hindu Primer, IND-US, Inc., 1984.
Materials Testing; BMS College of Engineering Publication, 1959.
| Journal Editorships
Associate Editor, Applied Mechanics Reviews (1993-1995)
Coeditor, Biomimetics (1992-1998)
Editor, Journal of Engineering for Industry (1976-1982).
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures(1985-1991).Publications
Some Selected Research Reports
Jet engine related airplane accidents 1998
Control of High-Frequency Smart Structures Through NiTiNOL fibers, 1995
Analysis of mistuned blades with chordwise modes, 1993
Smart structures with twisted and braided optical fibers, University of Connecticut report under the Economic Development Initiative, 1993
Modeling Hierarchical Structures 1992
Modeling Buckyballs 1992
Modeling thermal cracks: A review, 1992
Characteristics of Dry Friction Damping. R84956479.
Advanced Turboprop Vibratory Characteristics. NASA:CR 174708.
Basic Study of Bladed Disk Structural Response. AFWALTR832075.
Effects of Mistuning on Blade Torsional Flutter. NASA:CR 165137.
Turbojet Engine Blade Damping. NASA:CR 165496.
Flutter Analysis of Rotating Cylindrical Shells Immersed in a Rotating Compressible Fluid.
Stage Vibration Analysis via a Modified Modal Synthesis Procedure.
Calculation of Mode Shapes of Bladed Disk Assemblies from Holograms.
Analysis and Testing of Synchronous Vibration Absorbers.
Parallel Damped Dynamic Vibration Absorbers.
Concepts of Impedence Analysis.
The Determination of Mathematical Models from Impedance Test Data.
| Archival Publications
Emerging Workplace, Paper presented at the Ninth International Conference on Management of Technology, Miami, Florida, February 2000
Characterization of the Laws of Friction in the Context of Blade Dynamics, Paper to appear in the Journal of Engineering for Power, 1999
Flutter and Resonant Vibration Characteristics of Engine Blades, IGTI Scholar Paper, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, October 1997, Vol. 119, pp 741-775
Multiplexing Embedded NiTiNOL Actuators to Obtain Increased Bandwidth in Structural Control, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 8, No. 3, March, 1997
Biomimetics: Advancing manmade materials through guidance from nature, An Update, Applied Mechanics Reviews, 1996
Smart Biological Systems as Models for Engineered Structures, Journal of Materials Science and Engineering: C 4 (1996), 19-26
Control of High-Frequency Smart Structures Through Embedded NiTiNOL fibers, paper presented at the 3rd International Conference on Intelligent Materials, Lyon, June 3-5, 1996.
Excitation of a Beam using Multiple Shape Memory Alloy Actuators, Paper presented at the 2nd International Conference on Composites Engineering, New Orleans, August 1995
Machine Tool Chatter Suppression through Gyroscopic Vibration Absorbers, Paper presented at the Society of Engineering Science Conference, New Orleans, October, 1995
Galloping of Transmission Lines, Paper presented at the EPRI workshop on Smart Materials, EPRI, TR-105072, Project 9000 Proceedings, May 1995
Are Biological Structures Smart? paper presented at the Society of Engineering Science Conference, Texas A&M, College Station, Texas, 1994.
Direct use of Unsteady Aerodynamic Pressures in the Flutter Analysis of Mistuned Blades. Paper presented at the International Gas Turbine Conference and Exhibit, The Hague, June 1994; Journal de Physique III, France 5, 1587-1597, October, 1995
Twisted and Braided Fiber-Optic Sensors in Smart Structures. Paper presented at the Intelligent Materials and Structures Conference, Williamsburg, Va., May 1994
Hierarchical Structures; A Challenge to Modeling. Paper presented at the International Invitational UACEM Symposium, Danvers, MA, August 1993.
Hierarchy as a Principle in the Design and Development of Structural Components, AIAA Journal, Vol. 32, # 9, pp 1933-1935, 1994.
Smart Structures and Materials; ASME, AD Volume 24, 1991.
Modal Analysis Through Piezo Films, Paper presented at the WAM of ASME, December 1991, ASME AD Volume 24.
Biomimetics: Advancing manmade materials through guidance from nature, Applied Mechanics Reviews, Vol. 44, # 11, pp 463-482, November 1991.
Thermal and Mechanical Considerations in Using Shape Memory Alloys to Control Vibrations in Flexible Structures; Metallurgical Transactions, Series A, Volume 22A, 1991.
The Influence of Massively Parallel Processing in Boundary Element Computations, Paper presented at the Conference on Boundary Elements, October 1989.
Dynamic Friction. Chapter in Large Space Structures and Control, Springer Verlag, 1988.
Structural Dynamics of a Helicopter Rotor Blade System, Journal of The American Helicopter Society, January, 1990; Paper presented at the 44th Annual National Forum of the American Helicopter Society, May 1988, Washington, DC.
A Nonlinear Theory of Dynamic Systems With Dry Friction Forces, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 108, 525-530, July 1986; Presented at the 31st International Gas Turbine Conference and Exhibit, Dusseldorf, Federal Republic of Germany, June 8-12, 1986.
Dynamic Characteristics of an Assembly of Prop-Fan Blades, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 108, 306-312, April 1986; Presented at the 30th International Gas Turbine Conference and Exhibit, Houston, Texas, March 18-21, 1985.
Aeroelastic Instabilities in Labyrinth Air Seal Systems. Presented at 29th International Gas Turbine Conference and Exhibit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, June 1984.
Aerodynamically Excited Vibrations of a Part Span Shrouded Fan, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 107, 399-407, April 1985; Presented at the 29th International Gas Turbine Conference and Exhibit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, June 4-7, 1984.
Recent Advances in the Understanding and Prediction of Turbomachine Subsonic Stall Flutter. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines & Power, 107, April, 1985; Presented at the 29th Gas Turbine Conference and Exhibit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, June 1984.
Vibrations of Bladed Disk Assemblies: A Selected Survey, Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress and Reliability in Design; Transaction of the ASME, Vol. 106, #2, pp 165-168, April 1984,
Paper presented at the Sixth World Congress on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, New Delhi, India, December 1983.
Characteristics of Dry Friction Forces. Presented at Vibration Damping Workshop, Long Beach, CA, February 1984.
Cascade Flutter Analysis of Cantilevered Blades. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 106, 34-43, January 1984, Presented at 28th International Gas Turbine Conference and Exhibit, Phoenix, AZ, March 27-31,1983
Measurement of Relative Vibratory Motion at the Shroud Interfaces of a Fan, Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress and Reliability in Design, 106, 189-197, Transaction of the ASME, April 1984, Paper presented at the ASME Design Engineering Division Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, Dearborn, MI; Published in the symposium volume, Vibration of Bladed Disk Assemblies, September 1983.
Vibrations of Bladed Disk Assemblies, bound volume published by ASME for presentation at the Design Engineering Division Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, Dearborn, MI, September 1983.
Twin Mode Analysis of Aeroengine Fan Vibrations & Flutter, Published in Vibration of Bladed Disk Assemblies, September 1983, ASME Design Engineering Division Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, Dearborn, MI.
Dry Friction Damping Mechanisms in Engine Blades, Journal of Engineering for Power, 105, pp 332-341, Transaction of the ASME, April 1983, Paper presented at the 27th International Gas Turbine Conference and Exhibit, London, England, April 18-22, 1982.
Effects of Mistuning on Blade Torsional Flutter. Paper presented at the 5th International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines, Bangalore, India, February 1981.
Basic Research and the N.S.F. Excerpts published in a joint report entitled Research Needs in Nonlinear Dynamics, 1979.
Dynamic Analysis of an Assembly of Shrouded Blades Using Component Modes, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 100, No. 3, pp 520-527, July 1978.
Structural Dynamic Aspects of Bladed Disk Assemblies, bound volume published by ASME at the Winter Annual Meeting, New York, NY, December 1976.
Effects of Mistuning on Resonant Stress of Turbine Blades. Paper presented at the ASME Winter Annual Meeting, New York, NY, December 1976.
Influence of Mistuning on Rotor Blade Vibrations. AIAA Journal, Vol. 13, No. 14, pp. 460-464, April 1975.
Flutter of Coaxial Cylindrical Shells in an Incompressible Axisymmetric Flow. AIAA Journal, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp.1631-1635, December 1974.
Traveling Waves in Rotating Cylindrical Shells. Transactions of the Journal of Engineering for Industry, Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 93, Series B, pp 1229-1232 November 1971.
Flutter Analysis of Rotating Cylindrical Shells Immersed in a Circular Helical Flow Field of Air, AIAA Journal, 9, No. 3, pp 394-400, March 1971, Paper presented at the AIAA/ASME 12th Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Anaheim, CA, April 19-21, 1971.
Gyroscopic Systems as Vibration Absorbers, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol. 91, # 4, Series B, pp 1156-1160, November 1969, Paper presented at the ASME Vibrations Conference, Philadelphia, PA, March 30 – April 2, 1969.
Analysis of Parallel Damped Dynamic Vibration Absorbers, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 91, Series B, No. 1, pp 282-287, February 1969, Paper presented at the Winter Annual Meeting, ASME, New York, NY, December 15, 1968.
Recent Advances in the Study of the Synchronous Vibration Absorbers, Bulletin 37, Part 6, January, 1968, Paper presented at the 37th Shock and Vibration Symposium, October 1967.
Dynamic Stability of Beam Columns. AIAA Journal, Vol. 5, # 9, pp 1685-1686, September 1967.
Nonlinear Vibrations of Beams and Plates. International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, 1, No. 3, pp 179-191, November 1966.
Steady State Response of Beams Supported on Nonlinear Springs. AIAA Journal, Vol. 4, # 10, pp 1863-1864, October 1966.
Large Amplitude Free Oscillations of Beams and Plates. AIAA Journal, Vol. 3, # 10, pp 1951-1953, October 1965.
Buckling Loads of Bars with Variable Stiffness: A Simple Numerical Method. AIAA Journal, Vol. 2, #1, pp 139-140, January 1964.
Response of Portal Frames to Dynamic Loading, Vol. 23, Publications of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering, Zurich, 1963.
| Community Service
- Student representative to Human Rights Commission, U of Iowa, 1962
- Secretary, India Students Association, U of Iowa, 1962
- President, India Students Association, U of Iowa, 1963-1964
- Advisor, India Association of Greater Hartford, 1967-1972
- Member, Board of Directors of World Affairs Council, 1969-1975
- Founder, Connecticut Valley Hindu Temple Society, 1979
- President, Connecticut Valley Hindu Temple Society, 1979-1981
- Member, Prime Minister of India’s Committee on Aeronautics 1984-86
- Facilitator “Connecticut Conversations”, 1994
- Judge, NASA Space Science Student Involvement Competition, 1994
- Chairman, Advisory Board, UConn Asian American Studies Institute, 1995
- Chairman, Programs Committee, AASI, 1995
- Councilman, Town Council, Glastonbury, 1997 – 1999
- Vice Chairman, Town Council, Glastonbury, 1999 – 2001